THE NEW GILDED AGE (Part 2)
THE NEW GILDED AGE (Part 2)
Tickets Now on Sale!
Posted In: Arts & Entertainment, , From Issue 911 By: Robert E Martin
01st April, 2021 0
Over the expanse of this past difficult year filled with empty stages and both audiences and artists yearning to connect and engage once again in a live physical environment, The REVIEW is both pleased and excited to announce that this year’s 35th Annual REVIEW Music Awards Ceremony & Celebration will be happening this year at the newly opened live concert venue The VAULT on Sunday, May 16th! Doors will open at 4:00 PM and the Awards Celebration will run from 5:00 PM until 11:00 PM.
With two floors, a 32 foot stage, in-house state-of-the-art sound & light system, over six service bars, and the ability to accommodate over 700 people, we will be able to safely conduct this year’s awards ceremony in a socially distanced manner by limiting attendance to the current restricted capacity of 300 attendees.
This annual celebration promises to be the entertainment extravaganza of theyear where we celebrate and gather to honor the expansive range of musical artistry populating the Great Lakes Bay Region with their creativity and talent.
Since its inception, the Review Music Awards has grown in both stature and recognition throughout the state of Michigan, presenting an exceptional evening where we turn the spotlight on our area’s top musical artists in genres of Jazz, Blues, Rock, Country, Hip-Hop and Alternative music as determined by readers and fans throughout the region.
The nomination and voting for the 2021 Awards Celebration was conducted between January & February of this year and a total of 584 musicians & groups in the Great Lakes Bay Region were nominated with a total of 2,854 people casting their votes. Only the top five nominees in each division moved on from the nomination round to the final round, where the winners will be announced at this year’s awards celebration.
Invitations for this year’s awards celebration will be going out to nominees around the middle of April and approximately 150 tickets will be available for purchase.
In addition to local personalities and guest presenters handing out trophies to the winners of over 60 different categories, guest performers at this year’s 35th Annual REVIEW Music Awards will consist of the following:
• The Legal Matters. This dynamic Power Pop Trio isn’t just a band, it’s a meeting of the minds of three notable figures: Keith Klingsmith, Andy Reed, and Chris Richards. After first coming together back in 2013, the group is poised to release their third album of original material titled Chapter 3, which also features the talents of their unofficial 4th member, Donny Brown, former co-founding member of The Verve Pipe. Possessing strong vocal harmonies and influences ranging from The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Weezer, Fountains of Wayne, and even the Everly Brothers, the group distills all these influences in a manner that is still original and distinct, possessing a group sound that is anything but derivative, therefore forging a new creative sound in the process.
• The D.A.B. Band. David Asher Band is the Roots Reggae Rock project of former co-founder of The PROCESS, vocalist/songwriter/guitarist David Asher and Friends. It is the culmination of years honing the sounds and soul of island music that has been embraced by music fans across the globe for decades. Asher has worked with numerous Reggae Legends over the years including Adrian Sherwood, Dub producer The Scientist, Lee Scratch Perry, Little Axe and many other musical luminaries. DAB's new album features two mixes done at On-U Sound studios in England, and the CD includes two additional bonus tracks mixed by Adrian Sherwood. It also features guitarist David Ivory, drummer Derrick Davis, and bassist William Petzold,
• Marsupial Creampie. Consisting of Amelia Jo on vocals, acoustic guitar, flute, and bass; vocalist and trumpet player Andy Hahn; Lennard Zimmerman on electric guitar; and drummer/percussionist Terry Poirier, this award-winning group first formed together as a band seven years ago when they converged to nurture and incubate a unique mix of musical ideas that created an innovative hybrid sound that blends Electro-Acoustic Reggae Pop infused lyrically with an expressive and tasty blend of Soul and Hip-Hop sensibilities. Their debut album Pass It On was just released in 2020 and is up for several awards at this year’s ceremony.
• Kalysta. With a message and focus that reach beyond her youthful age, newcomer Kalysta Sylvester is revitalizing a soulful reflection of American musical history. This 21-year old songstress finds her inspiration in the deep grooves of Motown Era Funk and Soul, while also embracing the elegance and class of the ‘Big Band’ era; infusing the entire mix with the passion and energy of Latin and Pop crossover, while keeping her heart beating to the expressiveness of contemporary R&B.
• Konebra Kai. When it comes down to women who know how to rock, this all-female rock and roll posse and truly the leaders of the pack. Consisting of Nikki Lynn on vocals, Cheryl Lyons on guitar & vocals, Amber Foster on drums, and Robyn Grimsley on bass and vocals, this group secured last year’s honor as ‘Best Rock Band’ at the 34th Annual Review Music Awards, so we are proud and happy be showcasing them at this year’s celebration.
• The Family Tradition Band. This group was formed in 2015 and is one of Michigan's Premier Country Rock Bands. Their members are spread across the whole great state of Michigan from Bay City all the way down to down river Detroit and features former/current national touring musicians. The band lineup also consists of many of the original country elements that gives country music its "pulse" including fiddle, banjo and slide guitar. This mixed with their new aged guitar driven sound with classic country roots, true 3 part vocal harmonies and a rock solid rhythm section, gives them that authenticity that can't be replicated
• Haley & the Sound Poets. Formed two years ago and featuring the talents of songwriter & vocalist Haley Ann Dorian, guitarist Jeff Scott, drummer Bill Link, and REVIEW publisher Robert Martin on keyboards, collectively this group deliver an eclectic musical experience; with the combination of ear-catching originals and favorite covers spanning multiple genres and ages. Their original Grey Skies was nominated for ‘Best Single’ and ‘Best Video’ in the 2021 awards and the group is also up for ‘Best New Artist’.
• A ‘Brush’ with Jazz & Blues. This special collaborative segment will feature the talents of multi-award winning composer, pianist, and vocalist Michael Brush, along with drummer/vocalist Tom Dolson and a star-studded litany of guest musicians.
Tickets will be only $15.00 in advance and $20.00 at the door, or you can purchase a table of six tickets for $70.00. Tickets will go on sale Monday, April 12th, and be available online through Eventbrite.com by clicking this link.
Review Magazine • White’s Bar • Records & Tapes Galore • Oppermann’s Cork & Ale (Bay City & Midland) • The Listening Room • The Vault
Electric Kitsch • Herter Music • Puff Dispensary • Voodoo Tattoo
Lil’ Bighorn Music • Radio Wasteland • Tim Boychuck’s State Farm Insurance
Please login to commentLOGIN
THE NEW GILDED AGE (Part 2)